Sunday, September 21, 2014

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This week I was craving something specific, and I knew just what! Chicken Tortilla Soup. Pinterest users have crock pot recipes of this, but I made mine on the stove top in the biggest pot I own. I remember having it at a restaurant before. When the server brought it out and set the bowl in front of me I was surprised at how it looked. In the bowl were strips of tortilla and fresh cilantro, but no soup! It wasn’t until the server poured the steamy broth into the bowl right in front of me that the aroma spread to my nostrils. The soup I prefer is broth based opposed to tomato based. This is one of the easiest recipes since there is no rhyme or reason to the order of ingredients. Basically we are combining all of these ingredients together, letting them simmer and serving it as a main course! The hearty chicken and beans make for a protein packed meal balancing out the light flavors of lime and cilantro.

In your pot combine:

1 can of diced tomatoes & green chilies (like Rotel)
4-6 cups of chicken broth
½ onion
1 cup whole corn kernels
1 can black beans (rinsed & drained)
2 boneless chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
¼ cup fresh cilantro
1 lime (juiced)
Salt & pepper to taste

Top off with:

Tortilla strips or chips
Dollop of sour cream
Avocado
Shredded cheese



For an appetizer, try to make some homemade guacamole! It's quick, easy and a tasty addition to this Mexican tradition. Check out the video below:


ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment