Sunday, October 26, 2014

Grow Your Own

Recipes always call for fresh herbs. I would buy bundles of cilantro or bushels of basil and only use what the recipe called for, leaving a majority of the herbs unused and (ultimately) wasted! I took matters into my own hands and decided to start an herb garden- right outside my house. I went to the local garden center where I purchased baby spinach, pesto basil, basil, cilantro and mint. My mother has an herb garden, so I consulted her for tips (as usual). She told me they need around 1-inch of water per week, and plenty of sunlight. Also, she reminded me to cover them up if a cold front came through to prevent freezing.

I started with a raised herb bed, a cinder block and organic soil. After filling up the bed and block with moist soil, I took the plants from their plastic pots, loosened their roots and planted them accordingly. With regular watering and grooming, these plants have prevailed. Although my next challenge comes with the winter season.








From front left to back right: baby spinach (cinder block), pesto basil (pot), basil, cilantro and mint (herb bed)






My go-to appetizer is a caprese salad. Though no actual lettuce is involved, this salad still deserves its name! 

Ingredients:

1 Tomato
Mozzarella cheese (sliced)
Basil leaves 
Oil (drizzled)
Balsamic glaze (drizzled)
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Slice up a large, juicy tomato, layer slices of mozzarella cheese and top with fresh, handpicked basil. After layering the three main ingredients, take olive oil and balsamic
glaze (or vinegar) and drizzle over. 
Season with salt & pepper to your liking and eat up!


ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment